Lecture W101087 "Atmospheric Dynamics"
Lecturer: PD Dr. Klemens Hocke (email: klemens.hocke at iap.unibe.ch)
Date and time:
A97, ExWi, Tuesday 8 - 10, Begin on 18 September 2012
The mean state of the atmosphere cannot be understood without consideration of energy and momentum transport by atmospheric waves.
The course integrates various research aspects: 1) Observation of atmospheric dynamics, 2) Theory, simulation, and data analysis of atmospheric dynamics
3) Generation, propagation, and dissipation of atmospheric waves, 4) Interaction of waves with the mean flow and atmospheric composition.
This specialist course is suitable for students in physics or climate science
- J. R. Holton: An Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology, Academic Press, 1979
- D. G. Andrews: Middle Atmosphere Dynamics, Academic Press, 1987
- Y.-L. Lin: Mesoscale Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, UK, 2007
- G. K. Vallis: Atmospheric and Oceanic Fluid Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, 2006
- J. Marshall, R. A. Plumb: Atmosphere, ocean, and climate dynamics: an introductory text, International Geophysics Series 93, Elsevier, 2008
- C. D. Ahrens: Meteorology Today, 10th Ed., International Edition, Brooks/Cole, Canada, 2012
- C. J. Nappo: An Introduction to Atmospheric Gravity Waves,
International Geophysics Series, Volume 85, Academic Press, London, UK
Presented material (pdf):
NOTE: Please send an email if you find errors